[Enswitch-announce] Important code update for those who have experienced MySQL deadlocks

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue Oct 21 08:15:09 UTC 2014

All,

As some of you may know, earlier this year we made a code change to
Enswitch 3.9 and later to do some MySQL transactions in "read committed"
mode. This was to prevent MySQL deadlocks. It turns out that this change
is causing problems for those upgrading from 3.8 and earlier because it
requires MySQL configuration changes to use. Such are the dangers of
back-porting code to stable versions, and I apologise for the upgrading
problems caused. To prevent problems for future upgraders, we're about
to commit code changes to:

1. Disable read committed mode by default, i.e. restore the behaviour
that existed at the start of the year.

2. Provide a new field in /etc/enswitch/databases.conf to enable read
committed mode if needed.

If you haven't been experiencing MySQL deadlocks, and therefore don't
need read committed mode, you can ignore this change.

If you have been experiencing MySQL deadlocks that the read committed
change has fixed, please open a support ticket before you next update to
the latest fixes or before you next upgrade Enswitch. Support staff can
then show you what configuration changes are needed in databases.conf
(basically, add a ", 1" to the end of each line). It's very important
that you do this, else the deadlocks are likely to return.

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111